Why do we bite our nails?

A BBC WORKER EXPLAINS. What do ex-British prime ministers Gordon Brown, Jackie Onassis, Britney Spears and I all have in common? We all are (or were) nail biters. It's not a habit I'm proud of. It's pretty disgusting for other people to watch, ruins the appearance of my hands, is probably unhygienic and sometimes hurts if I take it too far. I've tried to quit many times, but have never managed to keep it up. Lately I've been wondering what makes someone an inveterate nail-biter like me. Are we weaker willed? More neurotic? Hungrier? Perhaps, somewhere in the annals of psychological research there could be an answer to my question, and maybe even hints about how to cure myself of this unsavoury habit. My first dip into the literature shows up the medical name for excessive nail biting: 'onychophagia'. Psychiatrists classify it as an impulse control problem, alongside things like obsessive compulsive disorder. But this is for extreme cases, where psychiatric help is beneficial, as with other excessive grooming habits like skin picking or hair pulling. I'm not at that stage, falling instead among the majority of nail biters who carry on the habit without serious side effects. Up to 45% of teenagersbite their nails, for example; teenagers may be a handful but you wouldn't argue that nearly half of them need medical intervention. I want to understand the 'subclinical' side of the phenomenon – nail biting that isn't a major problem, but still enough of an issue for me to want to be rid of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers

Best Crypto Websites for Beginners

PAYPERMAILS